Tuesday, January 26, 2016

You are my happy

Hello there!  I'm sharing a card that I made for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge (love is in the air + use red).








To make this card I used the Layers of Love stamp set and dies from Concord & 9th along with MFT's Watercolor Stripes background stamp.  That's the short of it, if you'd like to know how I made that background, the LONG version, I'll explain lol!  It was rather a comedy of errors ;)

So I was playing around with a technique I saw on the internet.  I started with a piece of Tim Holtz watercolor paper and I applied Worn Lipstick distress ink directly to the paper, quite heavily, so the whole sheet was solid pink.  Next I laid a heart stencil on top of the paper and sprayed it with water.  I let it sit for a bit and then laid a paper towel on top to remove excess water.  When I removed the stencil I was "supposed" to see the hearts appear on the paper.  Well even after drying with my heat tool the hearts were so faint I could barely see them.  Now this technique involved applying a second coat of ink in another color over the first, so I decided to cover the paper with Candied Apple distress ink just to see if anything happened.  It didn't.  Not wanting to waste a sheet of watercolor paper and all that ink I decided to carry on.  My next move was to use the Watercolor Stripe background stamp.  At first I was going to try and stamp with Versamark ink and apply white embossing powder but I was afraid that because the paper was SO saturated with inks that I wouldn't be able to get it dry enough to keep the white embossing powder from sticking everywhere.  So I decided instead to use SSS White Pigment Ink and stamp the stripes.  After doing that I put my heat tool to it but I knew that pigment ink was not going to dry no matter how much I heat it.  At that point I let it sit for a few hours to air dry.  When I came back to it it still wasn't completely dry, and even a day later it wasn't dry.  I still proceeded to make the card, I did like the way the paper looked.  When I die cut the heart I made sure to place a piece of typing paper over the card stock, and sure enough there was a nice print of those stripes that showed up on the typing paper lol!  I decided to make the card into a shaker, and I really do LOVE how it turned out, despite all the pitfalls!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today :)

9 comments:

  1. Wow! Your patience and persistence paid off..this is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a work of art, your efforts were well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diana, just had to pay you a visit and say this may be my favorite of yours yet - it's delightful!!! <3 Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really lovely Valentine card design.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet shaker card with the lovely gold touches. The mix of the red with gold is very pretty. Thanks for playing along with us in the "Love is in the Air" challenge at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to stick with it! Such a beautiful card, and I love that you've turned it into a shaker!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, it's gorgeous! Sorry it was such a trying experience but you came out with a really wonderful result!

    ReplyDelete